October 2, 2015

Super Mario Maker

Date played: October 1st
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a few levels at random through the 100-Mario mode. I completed the normal mode once again and honestly, most of the levels were junk. There were a few fun ones in there, including a weird math test thing. So the guy wrote a simple equation in the level by laying bricks in the shape of numbers. If I recall correctly, it was 8+1-4. Deeper in the level, there were three doors, each with a number above it. Of course, the right door was number 5, as that was the answer to the equation! The other two doors led to death. That was the best level in the normal mode yet.

It's too bad that so many people rely on boring gimmicks or just slap a ridiculous amount of enemies in the level to make it interesting. There are very few players that design levels with real platforming, or interesting mechanics.
This was an awful level. Absolute garbage.
I tried out the Expert mode after that, hoping to see some better courses. For the most part, it was a bit better, but there were still a lot of gimmicks and shitty levels. One of the worst levels I've played forced the player to get a mushroom, then jump on a spike. I had to use Mario's short invincibility to get through. The problem with this level is that at the end, the guy forced the player to use a star to run on a series of spikes and reach the flag pole. The motherfucker put a bunch of invisible blocks above the spikes. It took me over 10 tries to just figure out where he put the fucking blocks.

Finally, I got to play a real challenging level, but it felt like a real Mario level. It had some challenging jumps, many of which required creative use of P-blocks and precise jumping. There was even a really cool section where I had to jump into a circle of ghosts onto a single falling donut block. It was tough, but it was also very rewarding to clear the level. Turns out, I was the first of 70 players to clear that thing!