October 3, 2015

Murasaki Baby

Date played: October 3rd
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

I started and finished Murasaki Baby!

This is a game that I got for free with PS+ a while back, but I rarely play handhelds during the summer. Now that my daughter's dance class is back though, My Vita and 3DS are sure to get more use. Plus, the new class is 1 hour instead of 45 minutes!

I knew this was a short game, but I didn't expect it to be around 2 hours. Murasaki Baby is a game about a creepy little girl with a heart shaped balloon who must reunite with her mother. Right off the bat, the game gives a great first impression, as it has a very cool, very unique art style. This is basically a 2D puzzle game that uses a lot of the Vita's features, making it something that couldn't be easily duplicated on a home console.
Baby is scared of this pyromaniac kid with a tentacle mask
The player doesn't control Baby directly, instead, she must be held by her hand and dragged around by touching the screen. If her balloon pops or floats away, it's game over. There are 4 chapters to the game, each of which has a child that Baby must save to progress. The big twist in the game is that the backgrounds can be changed by dragging on the rear touch pad, on the back of the Vita. Each background has unique properties. When a particular background is in place, touching the rear touch activates an ability.

Backgrounds can make rain, wind, snow, earthquakes, electricity, turn on televisions, make Baby small, pump air into the deflating balloon and finally, in a stroke of puzzle genius, turn gravity upside down. There were many clever puzzles that required that I combine these abilities. It's even cooler when I had to turn the Vita upside down to change gravity or place my fingers in weird positions on the screen to complete multiple actions at once.

Murasaki Baby is one weird little puzzle game. It's fun, it's short, it's pretty and it's very unique. I'm glad I played it.