October 26, 2015

Rogue Legacy

Date played: October 26th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 7/10

I've been meaning to try this game for a while now. It's a rogue-like, a genre I've never really liked much, but I still gave this one a chance. For what it's worth, it's the most fun I've had with a rogue-like in a while. Rogue Legacy is a 2D dungeon crawling adventure where the objective is to gather as much gold as possible before dying. The money is then used to buy upgrades for the hero's descendant.

Each character has a bunch of random abilities, some of which are hilarious. For example, a near-sighted warrior will have a blurry view of nearby elements, while a warrior with ADHD will move faster than others. The act of diving into the dungeon to fight monsters with the sword, gathering as much money as possible, then using that money on upgrades for the next run after death is very satisfying. I'm not sure I'll play this again very much, but I'll definitely keep it installed in case I get the urge to play it again sometime.