October 14, 2015

Forza Motorsport 6

Date played: October 13th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 8/10

I completed a few showcase events last night. I started with two passing challenges. The first was in a Bugatti Veyron, the very heavy, but extremely powerful beast, on one of the more dangerous configurations of the Daytona track. It was very fun to ride the banked walls of the legendary track in such a fast car. The next passing challenge had me driving a Hennessey Venom GT, a car I've had the pleasure of driving to the edge in Driveclub. It felt significantly different in Forza, but it still felt like I was taming a wild animal. That car is fun, fast and exciting.
The beautiful Hennessey Venom GT
I then completed the last of the Stig challenges, this time on the Top Gear Test Track in a Koenigsegg Agera. While I had no trouble winning the event by ramming the Stig into a tire wall at full speed, I definitely didn't like driving that car. It has very heavy understeer and is just not fun to drive, even though it's clearly very fast.

I got real frustrated in the next race though... I tried out the Ariel Atom factory spec race. In Grid 2, I actually like that car quite a bit. But in Driveclub, I fucking hated it. In Forza 6, I still hate it. That thing is fast and has awesome acceleration, but it often feels like a skateboard or rollerskates. It's completely unstable and is too light for it's own good, with weight distribution being all wrong. I still fought hard to win and was in 2nd place in the last lap after a grueling 16 minute race.

That's when the impossible happened. As I approached the last chicane, I felt that the acceleration wasn't quite what it was supposed to be. It felt like I was losing power every once in a while for very short periods, less than a second. I wondered for a microsecond "Are my batteries for my controller dying? Did I damage my car without noticing it?". Alas, I was wrong. As I exited the chicane, I accelerated as much as possible when suddenly, I lost all acceleration and my engine turned off. I slowly rolled to the starting line as I heard 6 cars fly past me at full speed, putting me in 8th place. I crossed the line limply. My gas tank was empty.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love having to pit and having simulation damage, but for fuck's sake, no one else had to pit in this race! Frustrated, I turned off my Xbox. I'll come back to this event, but I'll turn off the fuel gauge setting next time.