September 15, 2015

Super Mario Maker

Date played: September 14th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

I made an SMB 3 level, set in a castle.

This time, I tried to really focus and have a real theme going, to make it feel like a real level. I called it Skeleton Crew and you can find it here: D13E-0000-003A-8045. Basically, The course is based on falling donut platforms, lava, flamethrowers, a few Thwomps, a few doors, a skeleton train, a Bowser battle and tons of Dry Bones. I was very careful to ensure the level flows well and isn't too hard, but is still challenging.
Skeleton Crew
I'm finding that it's pretty easy to create a level that is too hard. It's always tempting to put more shit that can kill the player, but the best levels have self-control. I hope my level is fun and that many people play it...

I also played a few levels that friends have made, including this one girl who makes puzzle levels, each with their own fun solution. It's really cool to see what people can do with this powerful editor. Unfortunately, there's also a bunch of junk in there, like people stacking a bunch of giant Bowser's and putting a star at the beginning, but I guess that really can't be helped.