September 17, 2015

Forza Motorsport 6

Date played: September 16th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 10/10

I started by completing a couple of career races with my trusty Fiat 500, including a race in the rain on Sebring Raceway. The more I play this game, the more I appreciate the incredible attention to detail. For example, the clock on the car's dashboard shows the real time. The hatch wiper is active when it rains. Water puddles get bigger and bigger as the race progresses. Brake marks on the pavement remind the player of the big crash from earlier in the race.

The rest of my evening was spent racing online and was quickly reminded that some people are real fucking dicks.

Don't get me wrong, I still had a great time playing online! I took my Fiat 500, equipped it with a better tune, and joined a D class lobby, the slowest class. At first, I had a hard time because people don't drive at all like a computer controlled opponent. The grid can have up to 24 players, so of course, things get hectic real fast. Some people can't drive and try to compete by slamming into others at full speed, causing spectacular, terrifying crashes and pile-ups. Others deliberately play dirty, even if they can drive well. PIT maneuvers and nasty last minute blocks are pretty common.

The result of people being human-sized penises
Fortunately, it's not all bad. I stuck to the same lobby all evening, which meant I started to know the racers pretty well. I knew I had to stay clear of White Hawk, that fucker would ram people every chance he got. I knew I wouldn't see PEEW the whole race, since he would always be in first place. I knew if I ran across DrPepper, he would play clean. I even put on my headset and chatted with the guys!

Eventually, I started doing better by recognizing the style of the others and adapting to playing against real players. I didn't quite manage a podium, but I had a few 4th, 5th and 6th places. A few times, I still got knocked to the back of the pack by some unfortunate accident, but I always managed to stay in the top half of the grid. I have a feeling I need to play with the tuning of my car to really get it competitive enough to get on the podium, or maybe the guys I was playing with were just too good for me.

Even better, the money and XP rewards are really good during online play. I managed to level up a few times and during my prize rolls, I scored a million credit prize, a Ferrari 458 and a Pagani Huayra! I can't wait to get back into the game and race some more, maybe I'll even try some faster cars next time, like C class or something.