September 18, 2015

Forza Motorsport 6

Date played: September 17th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

I went back to the career mode and completed the next series, a 6 race event. It turns out, class D isn't the slowest, I hadn't noticed that there are also class E cars. I decided to pick the Classic Compact class and bought myself a nice little car, a 1971 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R. Of course, it's rather slow in general, but it holds it's own in it's class quite well.

I played the 6 events with it, set on American courses. The Daytona race was set at night and it just looked spectacular, with the spotlights flooding the track in some sections, while being almost pitch black in others. Other tracks are more standard fare, like Road Atlanta or Indianapolis. The final track was Laguna Seca, one of my favorite racetracks in the world. I know this track very well, from years of playing Gran Turismo, Forza and other circuit racing games. This version of it has some very impressive airborne dust just before the last corner, it just looks fucking cool.

During the series, I pumped up the difficulty another notch up to Expert, since I was always a solid 4 or 5 seconds ahead of the second place car. On Expert, I still win, but it's a bit tighter. I tried out the showcase events too. I drove a Mazda MX-5 in an 8 lap factory spec race around Laguna Seca, where all cars are exactly the same. I also did a passing challenge in a 2017 Ford GT as it blared past a bunch of old Beetles. The objective is to reach a certain number of "passes". On Expert, it was too hard, requiring 81 passes in 2 laps. I dropped it down to highly skilled and had to pass 74 cars.

Back on Expert difficulty level, I tried out The Track Day Shootout events. They pit famous cars against each other in a single race. For example, I raced a recent Subaru Impreza WRX STI against a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO and another car that I forget... maybe an Audi? The next one had me racing in a Mercedes against an Aston Martin, a BMW a Jaguar.

Everything about Forza 6 is lots of fun, I just wish I was playing it right now!