September 5, 2015

Batman: Arkham Knight

Date played: September 4th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Poison Ivy was a bit too hasty in attacking the Arkham Knight and Scarecrow's cloudburst with her over sized plants... So much, that the bad guys decided to release the gas and engulfed Gotham City in it, creating pure chaos in the streets. Batman went back to the airships to find Simon Stagg, the guy who engineered the cloudburst, in order to find a way to disperse the gas. After clearing out some fun stealth rooms on the ship, I found the scientist and got a thing to put in the Batmobile. This would allow the car to function within the fear gas.

Batman bravely, but foolishly jumped into the gas, got into the Batmobile and hunted down the Arkham Knight and his tank, the source of the cloudburst. Batman's hallucinations and his freefall into insanity are getting worse and worse, with Joker showing up more often than ever. I fought the Arkham Knight's tank in an epic battle! It was really tough actually, since his tank is huge, has an immense cannon and is fast as fuck. I literally had to shoot him, then run the fuck away until he lost sight of me. I took out the tank and the cloudburst device with it. When I took off the Arkham Knight's mask, all I could see was the fucking Joker... Confused, Batman let him go and set out to disperse the gas that clouded the city.
Gotham City, submerged in fear gas
There was a large segment where I had to find another plant underground to help Poison Ivy make it grow. Using the Batmobile, I had to navigate a series of puzzles and obstacles. I got to the tree and Ivy was able to clear the gas with her plants. Unfortunately, it took so much energy that it took her life...

With the fear gas gone, I went back to the GCPD to investigate a mysterious signal being broadcast on the SWAT team's radio frequency. When I got there, I found that it was actually commissioner Gordon who had been taken captive by Scarecrow's men. Before going there, I cleared out the remaining towers and militia headquarters, and saved a firefighter. I also completed a short side quest where a man from Bruce Wayne's childhood had undergone dramatic cosmetic surgery to look just like Bruce... He got into Wayne Tower, seeking revenge on Bruce for foiling his plans to kill his parents when he was a child. He took Lucius Fox hostage, so I was forced to reveal my identity to him, then knock him out and keep him captive in the tower.

I also picked up a new gadget at the GCPD, an electrical charge device. This lets me send out a electric charge to shock enemies or activate electric devices. This allowed me to take on the final Riddler challenge and save Catwoman. The final puzzle room was pretty cool, it was sort of a tile puzzle like kids play with, but with lasers and saw blades. Catwoman is free! The Riddler wouldn't confront me directly until I found all of his trophies and solved all his riddles, so that's never going to fucking happen... I must now save Gordon.