September 2, 2015

Batman: Arkham Knight

Date played: September 1st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

Batman has teamed up with Poison Ivy to neutralize the fear gas created by Scarecrow. To do this, Ivy must make some giant plants grow to produce the counter-toxin. I used the Batmobile to scan below the city and find the roots of old trees and plants, then defend the growing tree from enemies wielding rocket launchers... Yeah, it's stupid and insane, but it's really fun!

The game has three main islands and I've pretty much cleared the first two of all enemy forces and side missions, at least, I've done what was available to me. The only thing I'm not really doing are the Riddler trophies. There's something like 250 of these little fuckers strewn around the city and honestly, it's not much fun trying to get them, so I think I will ignore that stuff. The third island was a problem since I couldn't use the Batmobile on it, and in turn, couldn't defeat the drone tanks and complete many of the side missions.
I loved these APC chase missions!
When I continued the story, I got to a point where we had to find the "Cloudburst", the distribution system Scarecrow wants to use for his fear gas. The best way to find that thing is to use the Batwing, the incredible aircraft, to remotely scan the area. Unfortunately, missile launchers and aerial drones protected the area, so I had to go and take that shit out on foot.

After taking out a few drones and some radars, using a variety of gadgets and fighting enemies that were tougher than ever, I set my sights on the missile launcher. After clearing the control room and it's surroundings, the Arkham Knight himself showed up and tried to stop Batman! I got a hold of him and was close to finding his identity, but he fled and left me with his militia... I then had to remotely control the Batmobile to take out the missile launcher. I could now bring the Batmobile and the Batwing onto the third island.

I spent the rest of my time completing side missions here and there. I defeated all of the APC's in the city. Those missions were pretty fun as they were really just a big Batmobile chase with missiles. I cleared out a few watch towers and militia headquarters. One of the more difficult challenges was to disable the land mines around the city, as they are protected by a big army of drones and tanks. Some of these fights were really difficult, there were literally dozens of drones swarming around the Batmobile... I chased Firefly once more, but haven't caught the arsonist yet. I found the last crucified body and now have a location for the killer. I destroyed another of the Penguin's weapon cache with Nighwing's help. Finally, I stopped a bank robbery in progress, being run by Harvey Dent, Two-Face himself.