September 8, 2015

Batman: Arkham Knight

Date played: September 7th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 7/10

I finished Batman: Arkham Knight!

The last segment of the game was actually pretty poor in terms of gameplay, it was almost all just a big cutscene. Batman goes to the movie studios and confronts Scarecrow directly as Gordon and Robin watch. Scarecrow forces Batman to remove his gadgets or he will kill my two friends. Scarecrow told Batman to get on a truck, where I had more hallucinations, this time a flashback to Crime Alley where Bruce saw his parents murdered.

When I reached my destination, Scarecrow forced Batman to remove his mask while broadcasting the images to the press... Scarecrow injected fear gas into Batman's body using a syringe and that's when the crazy hallucinations came back. What followed was a very odd scene where I played as the Joker and had to fight a bunch of thugs in the "Jokermobile", a modified version of the Batmobile. There was even a segment where I had a shotgun and played from the first person view. Basically, the whole thing was a way to show that Bruce Wayne was shutting out the Joker from his mind, winning the battle against the hallucinations.
Batman came real close to just... being the Joker

Finally, as Batman lay strapped to a chair while Robin and Gordon looked on, for once, someone came to rescue the dark knight... Jason Todd, former Robin and defeated Arkham Knight, came back as Red Hood and saved me from Scarecrow with a few well placed rifle shots. I finally jailed Scarecrow.

Now, I ran into a bit of a technical problem with the game after this. Batman talks with Alfred and tells him it's time to activate "Knightfall Protocol". Unfortunately, the game asks that I apprehend another most wanted criminal, and the only one I have left is the Riddler. I fucking hate doing the Riddler stuff and I still had about 200 trophies and puzzles to solve to capture him, so I said fuck it and watched the ending on Youtube. It seems the game wants you to complete a certain percentage of the stuff you haven't completed yet before activating the ending. The problem for me was that I had completed almost everything... I thought it was a real shitty way to handle it.

On Youtube, I saw that Batman just goes to his house and blows up the fucking place in front of a bunch of reporters. Apparently, there is a different ending if the game is 100% complete, so maybe I'll watch that one too. I absolutely loved Arkham Knight, even if I didn't really like the last hour or so. It's one of the best open world action games I've played.