September 13, 2015

Super Mario Maker

Date played: September 12th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

Super Mario Maker is finally available!

The game is basically a creation tool, sort of like LittleBigPlanet, but a lot simpler to use. There are themes based on Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. At first, the game only allows SMB and NSMB levels with a day and a cave environment. There's also only a few items available to use in edit mode.

I started with a very basic and short level SMB level, just to get a hang of the mechanics. I set it during the day, put a few challenging jumps, but nothing too harsh and shared it to the online community. The sharing aspect works very well, with players able to comment on a course or give it a star. Stars allow the creator to upload more levels. Right now, someone gave me one star and I have 10 spots on the server to upload levels. In fact, for those of you who have access to the game, here is the code for my first level: A75B-0000-0022-F173.

As I played, I unlocked more items, blocks and enemies, so I made an underground level in SMB. I'm enjoying putting in alternate paths or secret 1UP mushrooms in more challenging portions of the level. My second level is a lot longer, but has fewer elaborate sections. I called it Foot Soldiers, because I put a ton of Goombas in the last section of the level. Here is the code for that one: 5DB7-0000-0023-613E.
My water level!
Finally, I made a third level in the NSMB theme, but I set it underwater. This is the one I'm most proud of because I built it as a risk vs reward kind of level. I built a path for small Mario and a path for Super Mario. The small Mario path is super easy. The Super Mario path is harder, but has quite a few 1UP's hidden in it. Here is the code: 9C14-0000-0029-9560.

I played some levels that people made too of course. There's a fun mode that gives you 100 lives to clear either 8 or 16 random levels. I played through an 8 level challenge and saw some good stuff, some bad stuff and some crazy stuff. I also tried out some of the top levels in the world and found that many of them rely on weird gimmicks, like not touching the controller or just holding down run. They look cool and took tons of effort, but they are not Mario levels... I can't wait to build more levels, I just unlocked the castle set, so I'm excited to try it out!