September 16, 2015

Forza Motorsport 6

Date played: September 15th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 10/10

Driving a car in Forza 6 feels absolutely amazing!

I was very much enjoyed the demo and honestly, it's just been too long since I've played a good simulation racer. Don't get me wrong, Forza Horizon 2 was fucking incredible, but there's something special about racing around a real circuit. I jumped into a Honda S2000 and played the first few events.

One of the first things I had to do was configure the difficulty and assists. By default, the game has way too many assists... I made the driving line show up only for braking, I turned off auto-braking, changed steering to normal mode, turned off stability control, put on simulation damage and set up a manual transmission. I also boosted the AI to "Highly Skilled" to give myself a bit of competition, though I still win most races.

I definitely like the S2000, it has a good amount of power and doesn't understeer, which I like. The race tracks are all spectacular, but I was most impressed by the amazing cobblestone streets of Prague. There's something really special about the force feedback in Forza. Having the controller rumble at different intensities when accelerating, braking and turning is very helpful. Even better, the gas and brake triggers have their own independent force feedback, something that is unique to the Xbox One and is used very skillfully here.
I roar around the Alps track in my faithful 500
Eventually, I got out of the races and started fiddling with cars. I bought my first car, an Abarth 500. I drive a Fiat 500 in real life, so I was happy to see that the car is very accurately modeled. I drove it in the Hot Hatch series and really like how it handles. Obvsiouly, the car I'm driving in the game is a lot more powerful than my real car, but it still had the same "feel" as my car. I modeled the color and rims to be as close as possible to my real car!

I am really pumped to play more Forza, I wish I didn't have to wait until work is over to do so!