June 5, 2015

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Date played: June 4th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

You know what's cool? Giant robots. You know what else is cool? Giant robots shooting each other with huge guns.

High Moon Studios has crafted another good Transformers game. I had played the demo for this game a long time ago and always had the intention of playing through it, though I never took the time to try it out until now. This is a simple third person shooter with lots of action. What makes it work is that the controls are very responsive and feel great. It makes shooting dozens of Decepticons a real breeze and a true pleasure.

I played through the first three levels of the game. The first is a tutorial level that I had already played in the demo, featuring the iconic Bumblebee. Basically, the plot is that planet Cybertron is dying and isn't able to provide enough Energon to power the planet and sustain the robots. Optimus Prime and his Autobots want to escape the planet using a large spaceship while Megatron and his Decepticons want to stop them.

I shot my way through hordes of enemy robots as Optimus Prime. Everything he did was to activate the spaceship, but honestly, the real fun is in the shooting here. The weapons are really cool and fun to use and all of them have a slew of cool upgrades to purchase. I've been favoring a rapid fire assault rifle and a rocket launcher that can lock on to enemies, though I've used and enjoyed other weapons too, like a powerful shotgun, a long range burst rifle and a sort of grenade launcher. There's also the vehicle form that can be used, but honestly, it doesn't feel as good and is only really useful in areas designed for vehicles.

Autobots, roll out!
In the third level, Optimus somehow stumbled onto a giant Autobot called Megaplex. When I say giant, I mean fucking gargantuan. As you can see in the screenshot, he is absolutely gigantic. He helped us reach the objective by destroying enemies and obstacles. I could even get him to shoot giant lasers and rockets at specific areas using a special targeting system. So far, I really dig this game. It's a simple game just lets me shoot a bunch of shit and I love it for that.