June 29, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: June 28th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

Having found Zelda through the Time Gate and knowing that we must find the Triforce, my daughter and I were eager to see what was next in Link's story. After speaking with the residents of Skyloft, we figured out that to find Levias and learn clues about the Triforce, we had to bring some pumpkin soup to a rainbow island... Yep.

We brought the soup and Levias appeared promptly. The creature immediately reminded me of the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening. Levias was possessed by an ugly monster that stuck it's limbs out through it... I had to fight it using my trusty steed, Loftwing. I flew around and attacked the monster's limbs with my bird's spin attack. After a few hits, I had to land on Levias to fight the monster directly. Using a tried and true technique from various Zelda games, I shot the monster's projectiles back at it by swinging my sword in the right direction.
Levias was possessed by an evil monster
After defeating the monster, Levias showed it's true nature as a benevolent wise old beast and explained that I had to find the 3 pieces of the Hero's Song, each guarded by a dragon. I headed to Eldin Volcano to find the first part of the song. When I got there, the volcano was in full eruption! I go knocked out during the fall to the ground and quickly captured by some goblins. The fuckers stole all my gear and left me helpless in a prison cell... I got some help from a mole guy to exit the cell, then started exploring the area to find my gear.

I had to stay stealthy and avoid detection from goblins as I found ways to get to the treasure chests that contained my equipment. It was a pretty cool segment, as it forced me to play differently, since I didn't have a sword or anything else. After lots of stealthy puzzle solving, I found the dragon deep inside the volcano and learned his part of the song.