June 24, 2015

Rage

Date played: June 23rd
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

Rage has been sitting in my Steam library for a good while. I picked it up during a sale a while back, but never got around to playing it until now. Rage is a first person shooter from id Software, the team behind Doom and Quake. It's set in a post apocalyptic world, 100 years after a large meteorite destroyed much of the Earth.

The hero awakens from a cryogenic chamber aboard a ship of some sort. He exits the craft and finds himself in a rocky wasteland, the ruins of civilization looming overhead. A crazy man jumps on him and attempts to bite him when a mysterious stranger shoots the enemy and invites him aboard his awesome dune buggy.

My savior is a man named Dan Hagar and he runs a small settlement nearby. The world of Rage is really fucking cool. For a game made in 2011, it looks surprisingly great and it really sells the whole post apocalyptic feel. The cars and other vehicles are awesome too, looking a bit like Mad Max.

Hagar took me back to his settlement, explaining a few things about the world along the way. There are bandits that seems to be very powerful. There are mutants that crawl through the sewers and other areas. Finally, there are other settlements that seem to be peaceful. Everyone is fighting for survival, but also for profit.

The town of Wellspring
The game is setup in a really cool way where the townspeople will give me missions that take place in different areas of the map, which is pretty open. This isn't a linear shooter like Call of Duty, but it's also not really an open world like Fallout. It's kind of in between. I fought some bandits, activated a radio tower, found the remains of a villager, found some medical supplies and stole auto parts from bandits. All of these missions took place in "dungeons", closed off areas that are accessed from the main map.

The guns are all pretty standard stuff. So far, I have a pistol, a shotgun a sniper and an assault rifle. I also picked up a few cool items like a deadly boomerang, some grenades, some lock picks and some healing items. There's an economy in the game that controls ammo and weapon supply, so it's important not to waste too much ammo, though the game seems fairly generous about it in general.

With the auto parts I stole, I was able to get my very own buggy and made my way to the next town, a sprawling place filled with neons, gambling and even dune buggy races. I jumped into the racing right away and spent a lot of time with the different events. With my racing wins, I had enough currency to upgrade my wheels to spiked performance tires, added a V6 engine, upgraded the suspension and boost. The events were pretty easy overall, but it was lots of fun. There are miniguns and rockets on the cars too, so there are tons of explosions and a lot of action during the races.

I really liked what I played of Rage so far. It's an FPS game that looks great, controls well and has a really interesting world, so I'm looking forward to playing more of it.