June 28, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: June 27th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

My daughter cried because of this game today.

Link headed back to the Sealed Grounds to activate the Time Gate with his sword, now infused with the three sacred flames. Groose is still chilling with the old lady there and he's now built a weapon against the Imprisoned. Sure enough, as soon as I reached the gate, the Imprisoned woke up and I had to fight him a second time. He's got 2 new limbs, a pair of arms and hands, so he can now climb faster towards the Time Gate. Thankfully, Groose's weapon is ready.

Zelda is goddess Hylia!
He built a large railroad track around the Sealed Grounds, put a catapult on it and armed it with giant flower bombs. Every few minutes, I could use the catapult to stun and slow down the Imprisoned. It was a pretty tough battle... I messed up at one point and I couldn't stop the beast in time. I failed and had to restart, but the second time I had it down perfectly.

After the battle, Link activated the Time Gate and went back into the past to find Zelda. This was one of the coolest story moments in the game. There was a lengthy conversation between Link and Zelda. Basically, it is revealed that Zelda is actually the mortal incarnation of the goddess, Hylia.

Keep in mind, I'm playing in English, but my daughter only speaks French. This means that every time we play, I translate the text into French for her. When Zelda explained that she had to stay in the past to help contain the demon lord, named Demise, my daughter just broke down into tears and sank her head into my chest, sad that we couldn't save Zelda... Thankfully, that wasn't the whole story. Zelda explains that Link must gather the Triforce to defeat Demise and release Zelda from her prison. Finally, she transformed my sword into it's epic final form! It was a really good scene...

I went back through the gate and left Zelda to be guarded by Impa. After speaking to citizens of Skyloft, it seems that the best way to find the Triforce is to speak with Levias, a mystical creature that lives in the big storm cloud near town. I also picked up a little side quest to find a new crystal ball for the town's fortune teller. It seems like I'm nearing the end of the game, but I don't know how much work it will be to gather the Triforce.