June 30, 2015

Mario Tennis Open

Date played: June 29th
DK battles on his home court
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 5/10

I had a few minutes to kill while waiting for a guest, so I booted up Mario Tennis Open and played a Streetpass match and the Banana Cup. The Streetpass match was easy to win, but I had a few solid exchanges in the Banana Cup as Donkey Kong. This all took place on a new court themed around the DK universe, which is filled with a bunch of bananas, barrels and a tiki theme. Bowser Junior is the one that gave me the biggest challenge, but I still managed to win without losing a set.

There's one thing that I just realized that really bugs me about this game. It seems that when going into a special shot circle, it's not necessary to hit the right shot type, I was able to get the special shot by using a simple shot. This removes the bulk of the challenge and kind of killed it for me. I have to test it again to see if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works. That's really disappointing...