June 29, 2015

Rage

Date played: June 28th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating:8/10

After a brief return to the Dead City where I fought some Authority soldiers and some mutants to gather some intel for Captain Marshall, the leader of the resistance. The mission itself was pretty standard stuff. I've started using the crossbow a bit more for precise headshots from mid range, but it's only useful when there aren't many enemies.

When I got back to Wellspring, Elizabeth and Captain Marshall were ready to take me to the Eastern Wasteland to fight the Authority on it's own turf. Using a really cool airship-like vehicle, we entered Subway Town, a relatively large settlement built in an old subway station. This town is fucking awesome! It has a lot of new residents to interact with, some new race events, new vendors and is run by a scary, tough man named Redstone.

Subway Town
The objective is to make friends in Subway Town to gain influence and make it easier to get close to the Authority, so I started working for Redstone and others in town. Before doing any real work though, I headed for the race track and completed all I could. The new tracks are more difficult than before, but as usual, my racing skills helped me breeze through these events and win a bunch of race tickets. There is clearly a third car available in the game, so I will have a lot of tickets to upgrade it properly.

My first real job was to explore a tunnel and collapse it to prevent mutants from entering the town. This was a big mission, but I mostly just fought regular mutants. My shotgun got a LOT of use in there, as the little fuckers just run at me all the time. There was a bigger fight towards the end that pitted me against two large kraken mutants and a bunch of smaller ones. I ended up using a new item that boosts my attack power temporarily to even the odds and kept using my shotgun.

I completed another job, this time for a weird dude that wanted me to go into an old distillery and fill two vials with a special type of alcohol. Once again, I fought mutants as I made my way through the moody distillery. There was a defensive part to the mission at the end where I had to protect the vials as they were being filled. I used some sentries to thin down the horde and kept my shotgun equipped. I can't wait to start fighting bandits again... Also, Rage is surprisingly long for a game of this type, I like it.