June 4, 2015

Rayman Legends

Date played: June 3rd
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

I loved playing Rayman Origins back in 2013, and I also loved playing the demo for Rayman Legends, but I never got around to buying it. It became free on Xbox Live Gold a while back and I finally got around to playing it a bit.

There isn't that much to say really... Rayman Legends is a very pretty 2D platformer that gets pretty difficult rather quickly. I played through the first two worlds, which is about 15 levels or so. The best thing about Rayman Legends, like in Origins, is the level design. Every single part of a level serves a purpose, whether it's to collect Lums (coins), rescue little wizard dudes or find a secret door, everything fits perfectly.

The game's first boss battle
At the end of the first world, I battled against a large dragon who spit out fire. I used a new item that lets me punch enemies at range. It's only available in a few levels, but it's pretty cool. The finale of the world was absolutely amazing, though I had already played it in the demo. The incredible Castle Rock level had me going through an enemy fortress to the beat of the music. Not just any music either, motherfucking Black Betty!

The second world featured a lot of aerial combat and platforming. Using the wind, I floated through dangerous environments and reached another boss. Keeping to the world's theme, I fought a giant, armored toad with a bubble shield and rockets. Yep. Rayman Legends is bonkers, and I love it.