June 25, 2015

Rage

Date played: June 24th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

Rage feels a little bit like a very light RPG, but with real FPS shooting mechanics. The town of Wellspring has a wealth of fun quests and missions and offers a surprising amount of variety and choice. I completed many side quests, some of which had me go back to the first two "dungeons", There were also some mini sniping missions where I had to protect some people from mutants and bandits from a stationary position. There's also a weird little card game that is kinda fun, but a bit too simple for my taste.

I picked up some main missions from the sheriff and the mayor in Wellspring. I haven't touched they mayor's mission yet, but the Sheriff had me do some interesting stuff. I first had to win a new, more powerful car. To do this, I had to enter a sponsored race and win it, but to do that, I had to get a sponsor! That's where Monster Bash comes in.

Monster Bash
Monster Bash is a weird event hosted by a maniacal old man. I had to fight a series of mutants and survive in his little, fucked up arena. He then takes this footage and turns it into a TV show of some kind... The normal mutants are no match for the shotgun, but at the end, there was a battle against a very large mutant with lots of health. I used a few new engineering items to survive, like a sentry turret and a spider robot thing.

Having won the sponsorship, I headed back into town and entered the race. My prize was an awesome new car, the Caprino. I then spent a lot of time completing new race events with it to gain some upgrades. I love the Caprino, it can have both a machine gun and rockets equipped at the same time, it looks incredible and handles very well.