June 21, 2015

Frozen Synapse Prime

Date played: June 21st
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 6/10

I was in my living room, getting bored. I fired up the PS3 that is normally just a Netflix machine and booted up Frozen Synapse, a turn based strategy game I got for free with PS Plus a while ago. The game is very complex and methodical, making for some very slow gameplay. However, it's also pretty damn satisfying when it works as intended.

My team of blue dudes must eliminate the team of red dudes in a large arena, littered with walls, windows and other obstacles. The game takes into account line of sight, range, weapon type, speed and tracks head position independently of body position. Every little detail is controlled by the player, which can turn a simple movement from one room to another into a complex series of actions. I mean, there's a lot going on here. For example, I can set a timer to determine when a unit moves. I can have him track or ignore a specific enemy. I can have him aim in a specific direction while moving, or not. I can have him crouch to move across certain areas. It's all pretty crazy.

It's a bit difficult to play though because of all the controls required to get things done. It's also very ugly looking, featuring only white areas and very basic, boring graphics. The music kind of sucks too. On top of it all, it's sometimes really hard to determine if an enemy unit is in range or not, and also which unit will shoot first. It's a pretty cool game, but it's a bit too slow, a bit too ugly and a bit too random to keep my interest.