June 27, 2015

Rage

Date played: June 26th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I found a weird Feltrite sample at a bandit camp, just as the mayor of Wellspring predicted, and I took this sample to be analyzed by a scientist named Kvasir. This guy is clearly a genius who surrounds himself with very high tech gear. He needed time to analyze the sample, so he suggested I enter the Dead City to find an upgrade to my defibrillator in the hospital.

The Dead City is a mutant infested, wretched place. It used to be a metropolis, but is now a giant ruin. Honestly, I much prefer fighting bandits to fighting mutants in this game. The main problem is that the mutants generally just rush me, so it ends up being a lot of shotgun combat. There are a few exceptions, like some tougher mutants that spit acid or very large mutants with grenade launchers. I used all sorts of equipment to even the odds, including sentry guns, spider bots and special ammo.

This giant mutant isn't having a good day...
Eventually, I found the hospital, but the way was blocked by a gigantic mutant who decided that throwing huge rocks at me was a wise decision. Thankfully, I picked up a new weapon in the area, a rocket launcher! This thing packs a real punch, but after a few well aimed rockets and some careful dodging, I took him out and found the new defibrillator. I went back to Kvasir and got some valuable info on the sample.

Back in Wellspring, I was tasked with clearing out some bandits from the town's sewers. I got to use some electrified crossbow bolts and fought my way through dozens of bandits. They had been poisoning our water supply with a special type of toxic substance that can be used for mind control. Kvasir explained that the Authority, which I haven't seen yet, are opposed by a group that call themselves the Resistance. He reckons that the Resistance could use this new mind control substance to better fight the Authority.