September 30, 2014

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Date played: September 29th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

The Protoss are an interesting race.

I played through the 4 Protoss missions that were made available with the crystal Raynor received. Jim is able to see into the future and play through the possible events as seen by the Protoss. It started with a mission where I only controlled Zeratul, Raynor's Protoss buddy. It was a nice intro to the Protoss and how to play them. Zeratul has some nice abilities. He's permanently cloaked, can cast Void which prevents an enemy from using abilities and can teleport around the map a bit using Blink. Eventually, I gathered some friendly units that helped me fight through the enemies and find the relic he was looking for.

The next mission introduced me to the base management mechanics of the Protoss. I had a small base and had to make my way to three Protoss being held captive by a new form of enemy, hybrids. These are a combination of Zerg and Protoss. They have a LOT of health and can hit real hard. I built up my base and slowly made my way to the enemy base and took them out. The units are different than Terrans, but they feel very similar. Base building is quite different though. Energy pylons are required to power nearby buildings and they also act as supplies. Buildings are warped in, so they construct themselves once initiated. It feels nice. I saved the three captives and moved on to the next mission.
The Queen of Blades, Kerrigan
In a battle long ago, the Zerg Overmind was defeated. It's tendrils contain traces of it's memory that Zeratul hopes to use to find a solution against the Zerg invasion. To do this, I had to build a base and bring troops to 4 different tendrils. I had solid defenses, this time enhanced by tons of cannons and a few of the huge quadruped, laser spewing creatures.

Finally, I was to witness the annihilation of the Protoss in an epic final battle. This was one of the coolest and intense missions in the game yet. I was provided with a very large base and lots of units. I had to fend off wave after wave of Zerg invaders until we were completely wiped out. It was completely awesome! I fought tooth and nail until the very end while hitting the bonus objectives. All the coolest units were available and useful. I used a ton of Carriers, large space cruisers that host dozens of smaller fighter ships as well as a large mix of air and land units.

With this whole story arc, Raynor discovered that Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades, must survive to prevent this apocalypse.