September 23, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Date played: September 23rd
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I found all my golden leaves in the castle and brought them back to Richard. I had to fuck around with a few of the rooms to find them. The coolest was an amazing fight against a soldier wielding a ball and chain, all the while surrounded by cracked floor that could fall at anytime. Fortunately, all it took was my trusty sword and shield. Richard rewarded me by granting me access to a secret staircase in his house. This led me to a fun maze made of bushes and grass. I had to chop up everything in sight to find the few spaces that weren't bottomless pits. Eventually, I found the key to the third dungeon by digging around with my shovel at the end of the maze.
Link fights the soldier armed with a ball and chain
The dungeon itself was great. It required me to gather a ton of small keys to navigate it's different areas. This was mostly done by fighting monsters. The most involved fight had me throw bombs into the mouths of armored...creatures. After swallowing a few of those, they died. Another type of enemy could teleport around and shoot dangerous bolts of lightning. They were pretty tricky to kill.

Along the way, I looted the Pegasus boots. These things allow Link to charge through enemies and some obstacles. I discovered that in combination with the Roc's Feather, I am able to jump over long gaps. The boss of the place was a large slimy eye. When struck by Link's sword, it would separate into two sections, then I had to run through it with the boots to split it up in two halves. I could then damage the two slimy eyes until they died, gave me a piece of heart and a new instrument for the Wind Fish.