September 14, 2014

Destiny

Date played: September 13th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I had an amazing time playing Destiny again! I'm still completely hooked and have played it a LOT. I completed the missions on the Moon, aside from it's strike mission. There were many battles against the Hive in the depths of the caverns, but also many Fallen on the surface. The missions are not super varied, but enemy and environment differences are enough to keep me interested. In fact, the absolutely incredible art design in this game makes every mission a joy to complete, even if it's just to look at the scenery.

I just LOVE Destiny's visual design
During the last mission on the Moon, I got a mysterious message from an unknown being that bigger threats to Earth can be found on Venus. Before going there, I decided to try the Strike on Earth again, having failed miserably the last time. I was matched with two competent players and everyone was a bit higher level than the recommended levels of the Strike itself. It worked out quite well, though the big spider tank gave us trouble still.

My next destination was Venus. Once again, I was presented with amazing visuals. Venus was terraformed heavily, offering lush jungles, sprawling city ruins and a beautiful, yellow sky. There are some Fallen here, but I soon discovered a new enemy. The Vex are robots with a single mind, a bit like the Geth from Mass Effect. Their weak spots are usually near the stomach area, so it took a few minutes to get rid of my "aim for the head" muscle memory.

The story went all crazy here. I found the messenger that contacted me on the Moon, and she sent me to meet the Awoken Queen in the asteroid belt. Awoken are basically human, though I'm not sure what makes them different from regular humans... Anyway, I met the Queen and her brother and she agreed to help me, but only if I brought her a Vex gate lord's head as tribute.

The following missions on Venus were all about finding this gate lord. The coolest mission had me infiltrate a Fallen base, which actually turned out to be a dock for an enormous ship. I had a chance to snipe enemies from a high ledge before storming the ship and facing off with it's captain who turned out to be one tough motherfucker.

My character is now level 14 and has a lot of upgraded gear. I tried using assault rifles and scout rifles, but I feel most at home with the pulse rifles. They remind me a lot of the Battle Rifle from Halo 3, one of my favorite weapons in video games. I'm still rocking a low level sniper rifle, but I haven't found another that deals more damage yet. It's gotten me out of a lot of difficult encounters because of it's very damaging shots. I still love rocket launchers for clusters of enemies. I don't shy away from using my grenades and melee abilities either. Oh, and I bought a new Shrike hover bike. This one is faster, more durable and prettier. It cost me a lot of hard earned glimmer, but it's fucking badass.