September 16, 2014

Destiny

Date played: September 15th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I had a ton of fun with Destiny again! I started my evening with the Moon strike. In the depths of the Hive's base, we took on Phogoth, a giant beast held by chains in a large arena-like area. This was an epic fucking battle! There were tons of additional enemies around the area and they were quite overwhelming. They spawned for a long time too... The worst were the warlocks as I had nothing to really take down their shields and my sniper rifle just wasn't good enough anymore.  After a solid 20 minutes of intense fighting and avoiding Phogoth's deadly projectiles, we managed to take him down!

I went to complete another strike, this time on Venus. Venus has two strikes and I chose to try Nexus. This turned out to be a battle against a huge Vex floating robot with a rotating shield. This was a more straight forward battle and was a lot easier than Phogoth, even though it was higher level. The robot has a weak spot near it's center and shoots out heavy missiles. It's weak spot is often covered by the shield, so we had to whittle down it's health with potshots, dealing with the occasional fodder enemies.

I continued the story after that. The Queen in the asteroid belt was very surprised to see I had survived the encounter against the gate lord. She was happy to provide me with the coordinates of the Black Garden. I'm kind of lost as to why I need this information, but the shooting, beautiful environments and looting are way more interesting anyway. It turns out, I'm going to Mars to face off against the Cabal. This is a race of very large military types that moves very slowly, but has high health and defense. In fact, many of them carry large shields that cover their entire body except their gun hand.

The mission was simple, I had to reactivate my hover bike connection by hacking into a console, then just reach an outpost to scout the area. I had my first real taste of battle against the Cabal though. Both my sniper rifle and pulse rifles weren't cutting it anymore, their damage was just too low to be viable, so I switched to a powerful single shot scout rifle and a high impact shotgun. I've been looking around to find a replacement to my pulse rifle, but I haven't found one with high impact like my last model yet. The Cabal are hard to fight, but at least they are slow. Grenades and headshots work wonders against them. They do have a smaller, faster enemy, but their health is so low that they haven't cause me any problems yet. Mars is amazingly beautiful as a whole. It's desolate, barren and really conveys a sense of despair.
I'm over there on the right with the red helmet!
After that, I ended my night with some Crucible, competitive multiplayer action. I am a lot more comfortable with the game than I was when I first tried this mode and it now feels a LOT like Halo. That's a good thing! I can see myself playing dozens and dozens of matches of this stuff, it's just plain fun. The shotgun and my powerful melee strikes are deadly at close range, and I can hold my own at range with my scout rifle and grenades. In Clash, the team deathmatch mode, I scored 13-15 in my first game, but in my second I was a respectable 13-9. If I had a pulse rifle, I feel like I would be even better. I think I can be really good at this, but will need some learning time.