September 8, 2014

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Date played: September 7th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through a few missions in Starcraft II. I'm really not a big fan of RTS games, but holy fuck do I love the setting, story, characters, units and buildings in Starcraft. The campaign missions are very varied too, which makes the whole thing more interesting overall. One of the missions I played had me storm a Terran colony that was being invaded by the Zerg. In fact, it was turning buildings and people into Zerg. I had to destroy all the infested buildings in the area. The twist was the day-night cycle. During the day, everything is quiet, perfect for destroying buildings and building units. At night though, hundreds of infected stormed our base, so I had to get my units back to safety and defend against the incoming horde.
The Zerg infected colony

Another level had me try to gain the favors of a mercenary by collecting more minerals than a competing faction. This led to bloodshed while trying to conserve resources. In another, I had to steal Protoss artifacts before they could seal them away. Another had me mine rare minerals in a map that had rising lava. I had to time my SCV's retreat with the molten tide.

My favorite mission during my time with the game had me intercept cargo trains as they ran across the map across three different tracks, all while avoiding patrols and defending my base. It was all very exciting! I have a bunch of new units to play with too including mine lobbing infantry, vulture motorcycles, giant bipedal mechs and little mobile tanks that can fire while moving.