September 2, 2014

Fez

Fez is a cool game, but it didn't hold my interest
Date played: September 2nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 6/10

Fez was offered for free on PS+, so I gave it a try. Theoretically, I should love this game. It looks incredible, has cool music and the 2D/3D gameplay mechanic seems interesting. However, I didn't really like it that much. Maybe it's the way the puzzles are made, maybe it's the hard to follow map, I don't know.

Fez is about little white person who discovers a magical fez hat. This allows him to see his 2D world in 3D and navigate it differently than his peers. It's hard to describe this in words, but the mechanic is actually really cool. By moving the perspective around, new ways to reach new areas are made available. I played for maybe an hour and found a few different areas, including a beautiful lighthouse. There are some secrets to discover in this game too. It seems like there might be some sort of alphabet or something. I'm not sure I'll play again though, it never really grabbed me.