September 23, 2014

Destiny

Date played: September 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

The grind begins...

Having reached level 20, I can now start grinding strikes, patrols, story missions and the Crucible to get better gear and reach higher levels. To do this, I have to find gear that has "Light" in it's stats until I have enough to get to 21. There's a very complicated currency system in Destiny. There are Crucible marks, Vanguard marks, faction specific marks, Motes of Light, Strange Coins, armor components, weapon components, Glimmer and half a dozen collectible items that are all used as currency. It's confusing as fuck, but I think my best bet is to do a balanced mix of PVP and PVE activities.

I played a lot of Crucible matches last night, most of it in the Control playlist. I'm definitely getting better and better. I mostly kill more than I die, so that's a great sign. I've managed to upgrade many of my weapons and armor by completing PVP bounties. I've had lots of success by simply combining liberal use of my blinding grenade and my burst fire pulse rifle.

I also completed a Strike from the playlist and ended up on the Moon against Phogoth, the big chained monster. This time around, it was a lot easier than when I first played it. I think mostly it's just because my team was smarter and more careful. It's a long fight, but we just kept the minions dead and shot at Phogoth when we could.

I also completed some patrol missions on Mars to complete some bounties and gain Vanguard reputation and EXP. I ran into an amazing glitch. While fighting some Phalanx, I was crushed between a wall and the shield bearing monster. I was squished into the air at incredible speed and reached amazing heights, only to fall down to my death. It was pretty awesome!
Best. Glitch. Ever.
To upgrade my pulse rifle, I needed some Helium Filaments, so I went to farm a little bit on the Moon. I'm happy to say that I'm wearing all blue gear! The upgrades don't come often, but they do come. I scored a new sniper rifle in the Crucible. I also have a blue helmet I found during the strike on the Moon. I've made marginal upgrades to a few other pieces too.