September 1, 2014

Grid Autosport

Date played: September 1st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I recently completed Grid 2 and loved it. Grid Autosport, it's sequel, was on sale on Steam so I jumped on the occasion. Right off the bat, the game feels very different from Grid 2. The biggest change is in the handling. There are now assists to turn on or off and they have a huge impact on how the game plays. I started with all assists off, but I soon found that ABS and traction control were my preferred settings. Everything else is off though, so it's still a challenge.

I'm happy to see that two cockpit views were added! While the full view isn't very useful, there is another that is much closer to the wind shield that I love to use. Autosport also marks the return of the bigger EXP yields based on difficulty, assists and AI strength. The game is structured very differently than Grid 2 as well.

There are 5 different categories of racing, each with their own seasons, cups and championships. They are Touring, Endurance, Open-Wheel, Tuner and Street. I started with familiar territory in the Street mode. When starting a season, a team must be chosen. Each team has different cars, challenges and even a different team driver. The street racing had me race around San Francisco in a little Golf.

One of my Tuner races
I then played a Tuner event, which included races, time trials and drift events. The drift events are quite different from the last game, but a lot more fun. Races are a lot cooler now too because there are more cars on the track and the AI is a LOT better. In fact, this could be some of the best AI I've seen in a racing game yet. The racers are aggressive, smart, reckless and ruthless. I've seen multiple AI crashes in the few races I've played. I'm also happy to see qualifying sessions for races. Getting pole position has a huge impact on how the race plays out.