September 21, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Date played: September 20th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

Link's Awakening is a weird game in a lot of ways. Some of it is wonderful, but some of it is really obscure... I played through the second dungeon. I used the town's Chain Chomp to chew through some of the toxic plants in the swamp, which opened the way to the dungeon. The dungeon itself was really cool and introduced switches that raise and lower some blocks. The Roc's feather was still used a lot too to navigate some of the rooms.

I ran into a problem with a room that clearly had a secret, but couldn't figure it out at all. I reluctantly looked up the solution on the internet. It turns out, I had to kill three enemies in a very specific order in that room... There were some sweet cameo appearances from Goombas, Piranha plants and Shy Guys from the Mario series. Anyway, I made it to the boss, a genie in a bottle. This silly dude feels like he doesn't belong in a Zelda game, but it was still a cool fight. I had to avoid his fireballs until he retreated in his bottle. I then used my shiny new power bracelet to lift his bottle and smash it. After three hits, the bottle broke and I fought the boss with my sword. I was rewarded with another heart and another instrument to wake the Song Fish.
Link being awesome, as always
I brought Chain Chomp back to this owner. I went back to the Trendy game to try and get that Yoshi doll. It turns out, I had never tried holding the button that lowers the crane, so when I figured out that I could change the vertical placement of the crane, I quickly got the Yoshi doll. I bought a shovel from the store, as well as some bombs.

I then spent a lot of time going back to areas I had already visited to find new things using my power bracelet, shovel and bombs. I found enough heart pieces for a new heart! I also found a few sea shells, including one I dug out using the shovel. I found a few rupee chests too. The best reward was a ghost who granted me the ability to carry more magic powder. This guy was hiding in a cave beneath a rock. I also traded the Yoshi doll, which led me on an awesome series of deliveries. I gave the Yoshi doll to a mother, who gave me a ribbon. I gave the ribbon to a baby Chain Chomp, who gave me a can of dog food. I gave the can to the collector on the beach, who gave me bananas. I gave the bananas to a crew of monkeys near a castle, who gave me a stick. I don't know who wants a stick yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I started the next portion of the game which led me to the prairies East of town. Some Richard dude wants me to find some golden leaves in his castle. I found the castle and found two golden leaves, but stopped playing then.