September 2, 2014

Hohokum

Date played: September 2nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

We finished Hohokum!

My daughter and I set out to find the three remaining long movers in the game. The first was hidden in a large forest where masked natives armed with shields and spears were dancing. I had to move among them until they all had the right combination of masks. It summoned a gigantic creature that freed my long mover friend.

The next level was wonderful, but way too short. As the long mover traveled through the area, music was created with every contact with objects. There were strings, swiveling devices, bouncing objects and some wonderfully cute creatures that sang as I swiped them. Unfortunately, there was nothing to really do in this level and the friend was freed without effort.
This was one of the best levels in the game
The last level in the game was one of it's best. Set in a weird ocean where water is confined to spheres, I set about on making a mermaid meet a sailor. To do that, I had to gather rusty fish (!) from some debris and bring enough of it back to the center of the level. This is where a large, two-tentacled octopus (duopus???) fed itself. When it ate enough rusty fish, it turned into an rusty anchor, which freed the way for the mermaid to swim over to the sailor. The best part of this level was the majestic music that moved to the beat of the ocean and it's denizens. I spent more than a few minutes just swooping around the area, as if I was a child in a play area.

I think that really encapsulates what makes Hohokum so fucking great. Sure, it has obscure objectives, a difficult to navigate level hub and no clear instructions, but it's the best playground I've had the pleasure of messing with since Grand Theft Auto 3 first came out. Plus, this one is kid friendly! In fact, my daughter was quite sad when all the long movers danced together one last time before the credits rolled. I'm really happy that games like this are still being made. I loved this one so much, I see myself going back to it just to experience it's joys again.