September 7, 2014

Velocity 2X

Date played: September 6th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played through about 5 levels where I acquired a few new tricks and fought my first boss battle!

On foot, I can now fire a rifle while dashing. It only shoots in front of Kai, but it saves a bit of time and hits pretty hard. In my ship, I now have the ability to lob bombs in 4 directions. These are slower, but powerful blasts. Many of the levels I played were designed around having to shoot things behind me or on either side of me. It's a nice mechanic and adds complexity to an already complex game.

My first boss battle!
The last ability I earned is a long range teleport. Pods can be placed in levels at any time and I can choose to warp back to them at will. This means the levels now have branching paths where I must drop a teleport at each branch then warp back to complete the other paths.

The boss battle was cool. A giant ship shot countless projectiles at me while I destroyed it's weapons and shot at it's core. There's a little bit of a story here and it's cute and interesting, but not enough for me to remember the details.