March 18, 2011

Marvel VS Capcom 3

Date played: March 17th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 45 noobish minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

Well, my brother got this and I pretty much went out and bought MVC 3 right after I found out so I could play with him.  To give some context, I've always liked fighting games but only when playing against other humans, online or off. It all started with a weird game that most people have never played, Primal Rage for SNES.  Now, Primal Rage sucks, don't get me wrong, but it has dinosaurs and giant apes fighting each other.  That's cool.

Then I played stuff like Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat II and a bit of Street Fighter II.  Later, me and my brothers migrated to the N64 where we played some subpar games like Dark Rift and Mace.  We also played some Bushido Blade, Tekken 3 and Virtua Fighter on PS1.  Then, the Dreamcast came along.  That's what made us Soul Calibur players fans for the next few years and really, we stopped playing fighting games after Soul Calibur 2.

Cut to Street Fighter IV.  We're back baby!  This is what made me thirst for the blood of my opponents once more. This is what made us ready for MVC 3.  Now, I had never played this series but I saw it plenty.  I knew I was in for some crazy abilities, fast combat and hardcore combat systems.  However, I really wasn't ready for MVC 3.  This game is fucking crazy.
Yes, that is Dead Pool on the right.  FUCKING DEAD POOL MAN.

The bar to entry is very high it seems.  Maybe I should have spent more time with the manual or something but wow, I have no idea how to really play this game.  I played a quick arcade match against AI and I lost in the second round.  Bad sign.

I actually decided to jump right online and see how that would go.  Bad idea.  I got the beating of my life.  I barely managed to hit the other guy about three times total during the match....  I want to like this game but it's becoming clear that it will require an investment in time and dedication for me to to even come close to understanding how to play it.

Then again, it looked fucking amazing when I got destroyed.  That's something to look forward to no?