March 30, 2011

Ridge Racer 3D

Date played: March 28th and 29th
Platform: 3DS
Time played: 70 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

Well, I finally dug deeper into one of my 3DS games and so far, I'm pretty happy with this version of Ridge Racer.  The racing is good, the controls are smooth, the graphics look great and the 3D adds a lot to the visuals.  The sound sucks though, maybe I should try with headphones.
Thankfully, you can remove these annoying DIGDUG and company icons

I played two championships and started a third one.  The tracks were pretty interesting overall and the cars look pretty cool.  It was definitely on the easy side so far though.

Also, there is a really annoying effect when using boost where it kind of shows a ghost image of the car. At first I thought it was the 3D effect that was messing up but I tried it with 3D off and saw the same thing.  Anyway, it feels good to play some Ridge Racer after I had ignored the franchise since R4.

Oh yeah and the replays actually look amazing due to the nice framerate and 3D effect.