March 21, 2011

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Date played: March 19th and 20th
Platform: Wii
Time played: 120 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

Well, I'm hooked again.  I really don't know why I've ignored this game for so long.  I played quite a bit, getting a bunch of stars and comet medals.  I'm up to 96 stars I think.

This game is pretty difficult overall.  I'm sure I've died like 200 times up to now.  My girlfriend was watching me play and she commented that she didn't think she could so it herself.  I mean, if she was only doing the minimum to get through the game, I think she would be ok but I'm trying to get all the stars and medals and it is not always easy.

The highlight of my session was Throwback Galaxy.  This is a remake of Whomp's Fortress from Super Mario 64.  Having played SM64 about six or seven times, it was really cool to see this level remade.  The music was remastered and sounded amazing.  The level itself has changed a bit but it still feels the same, which is good.  Sadly, there was only two stars to get, one where you must beat Whomp, a giant floor tile.  The other, collecting 5 silver stars.

I kind of wish they would have done that for other levels from Mario 64 or even Mario Sunshine.  As a side note, Super Mario Sunshine is much better than people on the internet would have you believe.