June 1, 2016

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Date played: May 31st
Platform: PS4

It's been a while since I've played Uncharted 4. When I jumped back in, I was at a checkpoint in the middle of a furious car chase, with Nathan Drake jumping from car to car, shooting motorcycles in the process. I was chasing Sam who was riding a motorcycle, also trying to escape the bad guys hired by Rafe.

Once again, Uncharted proves it's the best in the business at creating epic, unbelievable action scenes. When I reached Sam with my Jeep, my vehicle was blown up! I found myself on the ground with the burning car on top of me. Pulled myself out slowly, shot a couple of guys while lying on the ground and barely escaped the fire. Just as I thought I was safe, a giant armored personnel carrier rushed towards me. Same swooped in on his motorcycle Nate hopped on as they sped away from the enemy vehicle.

This was one hell of a sequence. The two brothers raced down the streets of a little town as the giant truck chased them and shot at them with machine guns. It's really hard to describe this in words, but I guarantee that it was a very exciting, pulse pounding scene.

After we escaped, Nate and Sam met up with Sully at a safe house nearby. When they entered the room, all were surprised to see Elena... This has to be one of the best dramatic scenes in the series as Nathan tries to explain why he lied to her about his treasure hunt and his brother. The facial motion capture is done so well here, you could feel the deception, the pain, the sadness, in the lover's faces. The scene ends with Elena storming out and Nate sending Sully to watch over her instead of running after her...
These islands were a lot of fun to explore
Nathan and Sam then head out to the coordinates they found in the tower. This led them to a small island East of King's Bay. After exploring the absolutely stunning environment, they found a large room where they had to solve a puzzle. I had to move and rotate some balls to make them match some designs on the walls. Some of it was a bit tricky, but nothing too complicated. This revealed a bunch of pirate statues, including a very large one of Avery himself on a nearby island. When we reached the statue, there was a looking glass that we could look through. It pointed to another spot on the island, a small structure with a pointing arrow.

During most of this chapter, We had a boat that we could use to navigate the area, sort of like the Jeep from earlier in the game. It was a lot of fun to just explore the area and look at the beautiful scenery. We followed the arrow, which led to another, and another, and so on. Eventually, we entered a large cavern. After much climbing and swinging, we reached another tower that revealed the location of yet another island nearby.

That's when I went through the game's opening scene with Nate and Sam on the boat, fighting Rafe's forces in the midst of a huge storm. I stopped playing when I woke up on the island, injured from the crash. I can't wait to see what happens next!