June 26, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: June 25th
Platform: PS4

I was on fire last night, as both Reinhardt and Mercy! While I didn't win them all, I won a lot of them with smart play from my favorite tank and healer. As Reinhardt, I battled against other Reinhardts a lot, and won those battles almost every time. It seems like the ones I encountered weren't very experienced with him, so I was easily able to avoid their fire strikes and charges while retaliating with strong attacks.
I got a couple of these last night
As Mercy, I had an epic game where I had something like 20 kills. Instead of damage boosting someone, sometimes, I'll just pull out my pistol. Combined with a decent team, this creates opportunities for incredible kill streaks as Mercy. I shoot through Reinhardt's shield, or defend myself against a flanking Tracer or Genji with my pistol drawn, and I kill more often than you might expect for a healer. In my best match, I got a triple kill by shooting people in the feet from under the payload. The payload floats a little bit off the ground, just enough so that if I crouch, I can shoot enemies in their legs from behind the safety of the payload.

I also spent some time trying out a couple of new heroes, playing one round as Mei and one as Zarya. Mei is very difficult to use well, though she can hold a point really well with her freezing ability. The hardest part of using her is landing good hits with the icicle gun. It hits pretty hard, but it has a very slow rate of fire and is rather hard to aim. I like her, but she'll take a lot of practice for me to be any good with her.

Zarya is very interesting, and I definitely want to try her some more. Her cannon is very good at offering support fire from the back lines, so she works best with another tank like Reinhardt or D.Va. Her close range laser is good too, but it has medium range and has to be "charged up" by absorbing damage with Zarya's shields. I didn't do great with Zarya, but I will try her again that's for sure.