June 26, 2016

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Date played: June 25th
Platform: Vita

It's been a long time since I've played a high quality 3D game on a portable system. There's just not that many... I've played a shit ton of Ghost of Sparta yesterday, completing a battle or two when time permitted, then putting the machine down. That's the part I love about portable games. Sure, the game would look better on a console, but I couldn't play it for 2 minutes then let it go.
Kratos is an angry motherfucker

Either way, I made huge progress through the game. I've unlocked every ability and I'm pretty sure I'm now in the last third of the game, or further. I've also upgraded my main weapon to maximum, as well as a few other skills.

I've got some chain lightning magic, a weird orb that damage enemies and holds them in place, and a magic hammer that turns enemies to stone for a short period. I also have the ability to imbue my weapon with fire, which deals more damage, and is needed against armored enemies. I also have a new weapon, a shield and spear, though I really don't like it that much. The combos with it aren't as fun, and it's only been useful in a few specific areas where the shield is required.

The real fun of the game comes from combat. I've fought countless mystical creatures, like Cyclops, Minotaurs, Gorgons, Harpies, skeletons, Satyrs and rabid hounds. The boss fights are amazing also. I fought a giant lion and a death phoenix. The phoenix even had a whole free falling sequence as Kratos chases the legendary bird through the sky.

The graphics of the game are absolutely spectacular, considering this game came out in 2010 on the PSP, no less. Now I wish they had made a God of War game on the Vita... The music is as dark and brooding as ever. The sounds of bloody intestines being pulled out of a creature's body are appropriately disgusting. This game is very well made.

The story still doesn't really make sense, but I understood that Kratos is trying to find his brother Deimos in the depths of hell. For some crazy reason, there was a sequence where I met with King Midas, the man who turned everything he touched into gold. I threw him in a river to make a path...  I'm really loving this game, and while it looks to be rather short, it's been a great experience.