June 29, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: June 28th
Platform: PS4

I had a great time with Overwatch last night and for the first time in a while, I haven't played a single game as Reinhardt. It's not that I don't like him anymore or anything, it's more that I've been experimenting with Zarya a lot. I played with both of my brothers over the course of the evening, and my best game was when I was Zarya attacking on Hollywood, with my brother playing Mercy.

It was a hard fought battle, but holy shit was it satisfying. While Zarya is very difficult to play well, when she clicks, she fucking clicks. Her gun can be a motherfucking monster when it's fully charged up, and good shield timing can be the difference between a win and a loss. On top of that, her ultimate is very fun to use.
Feels good man, feels good.
Of course, it really helped that my brother was healing me, or even boosting my damage when appropriate. Without a healer, Zarya's survivability can be an issue. For example, she can't win a one on one with Reinhardt and she gets fucked up rather quickly by Widowmaker. Zarya is a front line fighter who gets into people's faces and melts their skulls with her laser beam. This makes the action completely frantic and highly stressful, but also very rewarding. She works best when there is another tank to help, but she can handle herself alone.

I love her ultimate also. It gathers every nearby enemy onto a small area, making them prime targets for area damage, such as Zarya's own grenades, or others like Junkrat and Pharah. I got a play of the game by doing exactly that on top of the capture point on Hollywood. I then spammed grenades into the bunch and killed 4 enemies in the process. It's very satisfying.

I also had a few solid matches as Mercy, but nothing out of the ordinary. I can't wait to play more of Zarya and get better with her.