June 27, 2016

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Date played: June 26th
Platform: Vita

I finished Ghost of Sparta!

Man, I realize how much I've missed playing a mindless, violent action game. I spilled some guts, I split monsters in half, I stabbed a few cyclops in the eye and decapitated some gorgons. It all looks spectacular and is very satisfying.

The last few sections of the game featured the sunken city of Atlantis and the depths of Hell. Unsurprisingly, there were many swimming segments in Atlantis, where strong currents created some interesting little puzzles. The story has been simple throughout, with Kratos searching for his long lost brother Deimos. After hours of glorious, challenging battles, Kratos finally finds him.

Unfortunately, Deimos holds a grudge against Kratos because he feels like he was abandoned, so they fight. Just as Kratos is about to die to Deimos' cruel, vicious attacks, Thanatos, the personification of death itself, showed up and attacked the violent man. Deimos seemed to forget his hate for Kratos and paired up with him to battle against Thanatos.
Deimos
This final battle was really cool. At the press of a button, I could order Deimos to attack Thanatos with his spear. This created some great moments as Deimos saved Kratos from death multiple times. Thanatos transformed into a giant demon creature midway through the fight. I battled it hard, using all of my strongest attacks, and eventually defeated him. In the process, Deimos was also killed.

Ghost of Sparta is a simple game, but it's a hell of a fucking ride. It's always fun to battle against mythical creatures like this, and I can't wait for the next game in the series. I also have God of War Ascension on PS3 that I never played, so I might try that one sometime.