June 28, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: June 27th
Platform: PS4

I had a hard time winning last night, but holy shit did I try hard! I played mostly as Mercy, though I also spent a lot of time with Zarya, but I'll get back to that. As Mercy, I played well I think, at least, for most of my games. Last night's best match had me defending as Mercy. We had a Reinhardt, Bastion, Widowmaker, Junkrat and Pharah, so a pretty balanced team. The Reinhardt was very smart, and the rest of the team was good enough to know they should stay behind him. We fucking slaughtered the other team. They weren't a bad team either, they had very solid pushes and good coordination, but we were just a little bit better.

Unfortunately, that was the highlight of my evening, as I lost many many times otherwise. I actually experimented quite a bit with Zarya, so that might not have helped my chances of winning, though I'm getting better with her.

Zarya is a very different type of tank. She doesn't have as much health as the other tanks, but half of it is shields that recharge. Her bubble shield can be applied to others or to myself, with a relatively short cooldown. It absorbs 200 damage, but only lasts 2 seconds. It also boosts the damage of her weapon for a short time. So the trick with her is to intentionally go into the fray, take damage with the shield up, then damage people with her laser or grenades.
I'm falling in love with Zarya
She can go down pretty quickly, but when her cannon is fully charged, it's a fucking monster! Her ultimate is cool, but a bit difficult to use. It launches a gravity well that pulls every enemy in range into a very small space for a short time. When combined with her grenades, or better yet, with an ultimate from someone on my team, it's devastating. However, without support from the team, it's rather weak.

After a few matches, I started getting the hang of her and did really well. I love playing as her a lot and I think she'll become one of my favorite heroes, after Reinhardt and Mercy. She's powerful, but very hard to use well.