June 15, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: June 14th
Platform: PC and PS4

I've been sick for the last few days, so I haven't played as much as I would like, but I still managed a few games between long naps and long periods of complete inactivity... This means I had a few rough matches, since my body isn't at it's best, but I got better eventually.

Most of my time was spent with Reinhardt, but I also played with Lucio, Symmetra, and lots of Mercy. I was a real fucking badass with Reinhardt. I'm using him more aggressively than before, since he can wreck real havoc, but he's not invincible, so I still have to be cautious.

In one match, on Temple of Anubis, I had a really good Mercy player with me who kept me alive, but also boosted my damage when I went swinging with the hammer. At one point, I kept the opponents at bay at the door right after the first objective by doing a ranged fire strike, charging in, swinging the hammer like crazy, then retreating with my shield up as Mercy followed me. It was so awesome, all thanks to that Mercy who was top notch. I also had a good payload match where our Bastion was set up on top of the payload, while I protected him with my shield. It was kind of ridiculous...

I had a few good matches using Symmetra on defense. I also tried her on attack, but she really struggles aside from her long range orb and her teleporter. The turrets are really much better on defense. I love playing Symmetra though, she's so much fun. Setting up turrets in the right spot, then peppering the chokepoints with giant energy orbs is really satisfying.

I'm starting to be really fucking good with Mercy now. I'm discovering that her ultimate, which revives nearby heroes, recharges very quickly, so it's often not a bad idea to resurect someone who died, even if it's not during a crucial moment. Chances are, the ultimate will be charged up for next time. Her damage boosting ability is very strong with high damage heroes like Soldier 76, Widowmaker, Hanzo, Reaper and Pharah. It also works quite well on a rampaging Reinhardt or a Roadhog during his ultimate.
Battle Angel
However, what really clicked for me with Mercy is her pistol. Previously, I had almost completely ignored it, thinking it was mostly useless. However, with headshots, that thing can take out most offense characters pretty quickly, and most people aren't expecting Mercy to shoot them down. In one match, I had 10 blaster kills, including killing a full health Reaper and a Genji during his ultimate. I even got a Widowmaker at range... I'm loving Mercy, and I think I may like her more than Lucio in most scenarios now.

Finally, at the end of the evening, I had a weird fucking match. We were on point defense, and I had picked Mercy. However, when I saw that we had 3 Torbjorn's on the team, I figured I might as well join in on the fun and picked the little dwarf also. Then, the other two players picked him too! We played a full match with 6 Torbjorns, and of course, 6 turrets. The funny thing is, we won. Easily. The other team wasn't very well organized, and they weren't very smart, but they didn't even make a dent in our team's defense. I even got a stupid play of the game while I was doing practically nothing. Torbjorn is dumb.