June 20, 2016

Ratchet & Clank

Date played: June 19th
Platform: PS4

Yesterday was father's day and I spent my all of my time with my 6 year old daughter. We spent some time playing through one planet of Ratchet & Clank together, Pokitaru. This place is a beautiful tropical island resort. Unfortunately, the bad guys have sent water harvesters, large ships that scoop out water from the ocean, which is very bad for the little tourist planet.

Ratchet got some help from a local dude so that he could upgrade his ship and destroy the water harvesters. There is a lot of water on this level, lots of stuff to find underwater. The local predatory fish enjoy jumping out of water and attacking Ratchet. Thankfully, they are easily dispatched with the pixelizer, the game's shotgun equivalent. I also fought the large tentacled monsters a few times, usually with the help of Mr. Zurkon and my big fucking rocket launcher!
Pokitaru is beautiful, even when it's being invaded by water harvesters
When we got the upgrade for the ship, I also received an upgrade to Clank that turns his helicopter blades into jet engines, boosting Ratchet's mobility. The next sequence had me blowing up the water harvesters in a very cool air battle. After saving the planet, I completed a side mission where I had to kill a whole bunch of green, blobby enemies. My daughter and I had lots of fun watching these guys dance to the beat of the Groovitron! The animation is fantastic and fun to watch.

I reached the next planet, where Ratchet and the other Galactic Rangers assault the bad guy home base, but had to stop playing. This should be awesome!