June 18, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: June 17th
Platform: PS4

One of my brothers came over last night and brought his PS4 to play some Overwatch with me. We had two TV's and 2 PS4's in the same room, so we played all evening together! It was so fucking awesome, this was the most fun I've had with Overwatch since I bought it.

We played a wide variety of characters, switching around as needed. I played a lot of Reinhardt, Mercy and Winston, with a bit of Symmetra once in a while. My brother used Reinhardt, Mercy, D. Va, Pharah and a lot of Zenyatta.

While the usual Reinhardt/Mercy combo still worked wonderfully for us, regardless of who was doing what, we really clicked later in the evening when we went Winston/Zenyatta. These guys work surprisingly well together. Zenyatta's discord orb, healing and high damage output combined with Winston's high health, barrier shield and close range mayhem creates some amazing synergy. My bro would send a discord orb on a squishie, like McCree or Genji. Then he would send me a healing and I would jump the attacker, set up my bubble and shot my Tesla cannon. Even though it's a low damage weapon, the discord orb makes it powerful enough to take out a squishie in one attack.
I fell in love with Winston last night
I've also surprised Hanzo's and Widowmakers with Winston, who don't stand a chance if they're isolated. Winston has become one of my favorite characters to play after Reinhardt and Mercy. I'm getting the hang of using his ultimate too... Since it restores full health, I often use it when I am almost dead, then I smack the enemy team around, then jump out when things get too dangerous. I've often managed to keep an entire team occupied while my team captures a point or moves the payload. Winston is highly mobile, very sturdy and many classes don't really know how to react to him. I'm definitely going to play more of him.

Together, me and my brother won many, many matches last night. Most of them in fact. He's a smart player, so he takes real advantage of Reinhardt's shield, regardless of which class he uses. I've seen him decimate most of the enemy team as he stood behind my shield as Pharah. I see a lot of Pharah's just jumping around and flying high, only to get picked off easily by Soldiers, Bastions, Widows and other offensive heroes. But Pharah is at her best when protected because, well, she shoots motherfucking rockets. Then when a clean opportunity presents itself, she can jump in and take care of a fleeing enemy or a flanker. My brother plays Pharah very well.

He was interesting to watch as D.Va too. At one point, I played Winston beside his D.Va and it was a fun way to jump into the enemy front line and wreck havoc. As for myself, I'm finding that I'm really fucking good at controlling space and denying enemy movement, regardless of which class I play. I think I have to try Mei, since she fits right in with my play style.

I really hope I get to do something like this again, it was an absolute blast to play with my brother while in the same room. Obviously, communication was really good between us also, which gave us a huge advantage. Go Winston!