October 7, 2017

Watch Dogs 2

Date played: October 6th
Platform: PS4

I finished Watch Dogs 2!

The final mission was split into 3 big segments, with a twist! The heat on Marcus was too heavy for him to be running around out in the open, so the DedSec team takes it upon themselves to do some of the heavy lifting.

The objective is basically to infiltrate a major Blume server, get some incriminating data on Nemec, then release it to the police. That's when both Sitara and Wrench got their time in the spotlight as playable characters!
Sitara and Wrench each had a playable segment during the final mission

Sitara was lightly equipped, with only her profiler tool and some sick parkour skills. She had to do some climbing and jumping to reach a hacking spot, then solve a hacking puzzle. This puzzle was a bit harder than usual, not because of the complexity of the connections, but because Sitara doesn't have any drones. This meant that she had to run around a pretty big area, chasing down connections hidden behind buildings, boxes and other junk.

Wrench's mission was the complete opposite. He was equipped with a ridiculous number of weapons, all with infinite ammo. This included a fully automatic shotgun and a powerful grenade launcher. He had to get into a heavily protected outdoor area to physically destroy some servers, eliminating any possibility of backup recovery for Blume.

This mission was very difficult... I really didn't spend a lot of time with combat in this game, so this required a lot of adjustment for me. The mission starts with a bang. Heavy metal music plays, Wrench cocks his grenade launcher and a large group of security guards stand before me, with the objective waiting nearby.

I had to restart this mission about 4 or 5 times. The first run, I tried just shooting everyone, but was soon overrun. The second run, I tried to be stealthy, but due to a lack of tools, reinforcements kept coming and eventually, I was overwhelmed. On my third run, I tried the shotgun instead and died quickly. The fourth run I almost had it, but was taken out by a random explosion.

Finally, on my last run, I went in guns blazing, but when shit got too hot, I took a little detour around the main area to flank. It was rough, but as I got used to the grenade launcher, it became easier with each run. I killed every single one of the guards, prevented reinforcements from coming with my phone, and destroyed the server!

Then it was time for the final mission. Josh had enough time to set up some stuff that will trick ctOS into thinking there are multiple Marcus' around the city. This meant Marcus was free to roam the city again, and it was time to take down Blume once and for all.

I had to infiltrate their main building, find a way to the server room, blow it up (after getting some valuable data), then get the hell out of there. The mission itself was very straight forward, with a simple building layout and nothing of particular note. Well, except that there were dozens of heavily armored, heavily armed guards.

This just meant that I took a bit more time to get inside, as I used my drones for almost everything. After clearing the main plaza, which took a while, I solved a short puzzle and accessed the server farm. Another set of puzzles, then I was able to blow up the place. Escaping was difficult too, because about 15 guards came rushing in with machine guns. I shot my way out like a madman, using my machine gun.
Marcus fucks up the main Blume servers

Marcus and Ray then pay a friendly visit to Dusan Nemec. I think they really just wanted to gloat... DedSec released all the data they stole to the public in a touching video by Marcus. The message was really good, very positive. It promoted peace, love, cooperation and human solidarity against profit-focused corporations. Dusan Nemec was arrested and jailed for life, and Blume took a huge hit to it's reputation and business.

DedSec celebrated with some alcohol and vowed to continue fighting as long as they are needed. The epilogue reveals that DedSec auxiliary groups, and other hacker groups, have been popping up worldwide, thanks to the San Francisco team's efforts. That's when I heard two mysterious voices, agreeing to "Do it", in response to the growing threat of hacker groups. I don't know what this means, and I have my doubts that Ubisoft knows what it means, but it sure sets up a sequel nicely.

Watch Dogs 2 was a lot better than I expected. I was expecting a good open world, a fun story and some crazy hacking stuff. I wasn't expecting that combat would be completely optional. I wasn't expecting to find the navigational puzzles to be so good. I didn't expect to play most of the game from my drone. I'm really happy I played this and I would love for the franchise to continue!