October 29, 2017

The Fall

Date played: October 28th
Platform: PS4

Halloween is just around the corner, so it's a good time to play some scary games. The Fall isn't exactly scary, but it sure is eerie and strange. To reach the medical facility and diagnose my pilot's health, A.R.I.D. must pass an 8 part test that shows proficiency at domestication and civil duty.

The 4 domestication tests were all pretty interesting. For the kitchen, I had to find some protein to serve to the family of wooden puppets sitting around the table. Outside the house was an area with some damaged pipes in the ceiling. When I shot it, a dead body slumped over the opening and some mysterious worm-like creatures appeared to eat it. I picked up a piece of the human from the ground and served it to the family.

Another had me clean a room. All I did was cover the sensor with a plastic bag, hiding the stench and filth from the old ruined room. Another had me decorate a room with flowers, but I couldn't find the right color flowers. After lots of dicking around, I eventually found a terminal that I could use to change the parameters of the test. The last one had me quiet a crying baby. I did this by making a tube fall down, then failing another test. This activated the tube, which removed the baby completely, thus passing the test.

It's really cool how I had to solve these puzzles, it rewards creative thinking and makes for some really fun scenarios to watch. At one point, I found a secret side room outside the test area, where I was confronted by the Caretaker, the weird droid that ambushed me earlier. After a brief discussion where he heavily implied that A.R.I.D. was malfunctioning, he left and sent some combat droids after me.

A.R.I.D. doesn't do small talk...
One of the droids was moving too fast for me to kill it, so the suit allowed me to activate a new system which turned my pistol into a semi-automatic, greatly increasing it's speed and usefulness. This actually makes combat way more interesting, since it moves faster. It also makes it easier, which is very welcome.

I was ready to take on the 4 civil duty tests. One of them had me fix and old truck with some wiring. Another had me help and old lady cross a busy street. The third had me help a kid have fun on a merry-go-round. The final one is a party where I had to make small talk. This one is actually impossible for a combat AI, so I have to find another way.

The Caretaker suggested that I could bypass the test by reprogramming the friendly Administrator. I don't like this idea at all, since he seems like a good guy, but A.R.I.D. seems to disagree. I set out to find a way to reach the Administrator's mainframe and reprogram him.

I haven't found the solution yet, but I have some superconductor fluid that is ready to go and I found a big turbine that needs a motherboard. I hope I don't kill the Administrator...