October 9, 2017

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Date played: October 8th
Platform: Switch

I spent some quality time with my daughter, playing Raddids Kingdom Battle. We played through the last few levels of World 3, including it's boss, and went back to World 2 to pick up some collectibles and complete challenge levels.

The first level I played was actually really hard. The problem is that I had to reach a far away area, while fighting powerful teleporting enemies, all the while avoiding Boos who teleport my players in the worst spots. In my first attempt, I fucked up by moving a character too close to a Boo, which led to Mario's early death. I was fucked. I had to restart the mission. My second time around, I did much better, avoiding Boos and methodically advancing. It was still really difficult and almost went wrong a few times, but I succeeded.

Next, I fought the world's final boss. This guy is just fucking great! Bowser Jr. combines a Rabbid with a gramophone, which created a very talented opera-singing Rabbid. Ubisoft went all out on this one... The opera singer Rabbid had a huge intro, featuring a fully voiced, full length song about how Mario is bad, and how he doesn't deserve Peach.
This song was the best cut-scene in the game!

Honestly, the writing and performance were spot on. It was really stupid of course, but it was also very funny, making us laugh out loud more than once. However, the battle itself was nothing to laugh about...

Fighting the opera singer required that we destroy some lights by dashing into them in order to damage the boss. The idea is that he's invincible when he's "hogging the spotlight". The problem wasn't really the boss himself, but rather, his heavily armored guards. This is another battle that took two attempts. On my first run, I didn't know the order that I would have to destroy the lights, and my positioning suffered for it, ultimately killing my team. My second round was a lot easier, since I knew where to go, but the secondary enemies still required extreme caution.

After the boss, I decided to go back to World 2 and complete some challenge levels as well as gather missing collectibles. My daughter has been asking to play the exploration sections pretty often, so I usually give her the controller and let her explore. She has a really good puzzle solving mind, and often will see the solutions without my help, or even before I do.

The challenge levels were actually pretty damn easy for the most part, but that because my characters are overpowered for these enemies. Still, some of them were more puzzle-like, which was fun. We even found the world's secret level after a series of complicated puzzles. There's one last challenge left in world 2, but I might just head straight to world 4 next time.