October 1, 2017

Metroid Samus Returns

Date played: September 30th
Platform: 3DS

I didn't play for very long, but long enough to kill the last metroid in Area 3 and explore the opening portion of Area 4. Actually, the road between the two areas was longer than usual, with many secrets hidden along the path.
Samus Returns nails the feeling of isolation

Area 4 looks really cool, and has a dark atmosphere. The backgrounds are littered with beautiful crystals and other interesting geological phenomena. There are a few new enemies, but nothing too crazy so far. After exploring a number of rooms, I found a huge upgrade to my combat arsenal, the Spazer beam. This thing fires three powerful beams at once, covering a large area and dealing heavy damage. It makes me feel completely overpowered when fighting normal enemies. I love this thing.

It allows me to to open new doors too, so that will help. I haven't found a metroid here yet, but I haven't seen much of the area yet.