October 13, 2017

Gran Turismo Sport Demo

Date played: October 12th
Platform: PS4

The thrill of racing has brought me back to GT Sport once again. I'm really enjoying myself with this game, despite it's tons of obvious, glaring flaws. I mean, it's still buggy as fuck, lobbies close on their own, connection errors all over, changing cars while in a lobby is almost impossible, etc.

But the racing... The racing is so so sweet.
MY FIRST ONLINE VICTORY!!!

It took me 45 minutes to find a decent race, but when I did, I had lots of fun. The race was at Dragon Trail, the only asphalt circuit in the demo, with my trusty Hyundai Genesis Rally car. The 6 lap race was full of action and surprises... I actually crashed a good number of times throughout the race, or spun out. Some of it was just my fault, while some of it was because of fierce battles against other racers, but I still held my own and drove fast.

The starting grid had 15 racers, and I spent most of my time fighting between 2nd and 6th place. I try to just focus on the road and ignore other cars as much as possible, making sure my racing line is good. This works well because many other players focus on passing. The trick is though, if you race well, the passing opportunities will present themselves.

About midway through the race, the guy in first place dropped out, presumably due to connection issues or maybe an urgent bathroom matter or whatever. This was great for me since he was really far ahead, but I was in the thick of fighting with the 2nd-6th pack.

I stuck to my technique, and even after a massive 360 spin out, I managed my first ever online victory in Gran Turismo Sport. I hope there are many more victories ahead, because it felt incredible.